Import and Export Code
Import Export (IE) Code is a registration required for persons importing or exporting goods and services from India. IE Code is issued by the Directorate General of Foreign Trade (DGFT), Ministry of Commerce and Industries, Government of India.
FAQ on Import Export Code:
Can Export / Import be made without IEC?
- No. IEC forms a primary document for recognition by Govt. of India as an Exporter / Importer
What are the benefits of IEC?
- On the basis of IEC, companies can obtain various benefits on their exports / imports from DGFT, Customs, and Export Promotion Council etc.
Can a Proprietor/Firm/Company have 2 IEC No.?
- No, only one IEC would be issued against a single PAN number. Any proprietor can have only one IEC number and in case there are more than one IECs allotted to a proprietor, the same may be surrendered to the Regional Office for cancellation
What are the documents required for registration of IEC Code?
- 3 Photographs
- PAN Card
- Voter ID/Driving License/Aadhar Card/Passport of Partners/Director/Proprietor/Trustees and their complete details, List of Branches, Registered Office, Head Office, Factory Located in India & Abroad.
- Address Proof of Firm/Company
- Cancelled Cheque
- Sale Deed
- Bank Certificate
- Copy of MOA & AOA/Partnership Deed
- Board Resolution (in case of company)
- Form 32 in case of change in Directors and Form 18 in case of change in registered office.
- NOC From other Partners/HUF (in case of firm)
Can a duplicate IEC be issued?
- Yes, in case original certificate is lost or misplaced.
What are the documents required for duplicate IEC?
- Copy of IEC or IEC No.
- Copy of FIR
- Avvidavit of 20/- stamp paper duly notarized
What are the documents required for modification in IEC?
- In case of any changes in the Name, Constitution, Addresses and Addition of New Addresses etc. The following information / documents are required to prepare the application for Modification of existing IEC.
- Original IEC Certificate.
- If you want to include any branch, we require the documentary evidence such as Lease Agreement, Rent receipt, Telephone Bill, Electric Bill or any Government proof (any one).
- In case of any change of constitution, kindly give the list of Directors along with Form No. 32 under Companies Act, or New Partnership deed.
- If any changes in registered office, kindly give full address along with Form No. 18 filed with Registrar of Companies and copy of payment certificate issued by Registrar of Companies.
- Details of the main banker, along with all the name of banker’s full address and Bank account number.
- In case if you’re Banker details are changed, we require Bank Certificate, as per specimen copy available with us.
What is the validity of IEC Number?
- An IEC number once allotted shall be valid for all its branches/divisions/units/factories as indicated in the IEC. While applying for registration, care shall be taken to include all desirable addresses of branches/divisions/units/factories. Address proof for the same would be required. Validity is for life.
Can an IEC Number be surrendered?
- If an IEC holder does not wish to operate the allotted IEC number, he may surrender the same by informing the issuing authority. On receipt of such intimation, the issuing authority shall immediately cancel the same and electronically transmit it to DGFT for onward transmission to the Customs and Regional Authorities.
How an applicant (NRI) can apply?
- NRI has to follow the normal application procedure. In addition permission from RBI / FIPB is needed in some cases.
What is the Procedure for a foreign national for obtaining IEC (documents needed)?
- Board Resolution, Memorandum of Association, and copy of Passport.
Do Foreigners require residence in India?
- Not necessary.